[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 12:48:10 EST 2018

Hmm. That $annual$ difference is in the range I spend monthly on beer
:-)
Not that there's anything relating the two other than "ale".
Just Sayin'

http://www.idotpc.com/thestore/pc/ITS-1916H-1U-ITX-4-Front-Load-Hot-Swappable-Drives-Rackmount-Case-and-Bare-bone-Unit-p1114.htm
> On 12/1/18 10:30 PM, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> A fun revelation: I went to FreeNAS's website to look at the
> softwareand apparently iXsystems sells a "home" server ready to
> go.  So they'reyet another boxed NAS source in addition to being the
> OS of choice forDIY.  A hybrid of the two options.  The case is nice,
> though, and hasactivity/status indicators for each drive, which seems
> to be somethinghard to find with ordinary cases.  They're using a
> fanless motherboardso there's at least a little noise
> reduction.  Looks like possibly anAtom as they're quoting only 17
> Watts TDP and 80 Watts total whenpopulated with eight drives.  The
> empty four bay is $1k and the eightbay is $1,350.
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/