[ale] [OT] VMWare learning environment?

Tory Deron tory at fastmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:08:19 EDT 2018

One thing you can do to set up a test environment that removes any compatibility issues, is to built it nested inside VMWare Workstation, which you can also download for a trial period. You will need a Linux or Windows machine running VMWare Workstation, and you can install ESXi, vCenter, and the lot inside virtual machines.  This configuration is actually supported by VMWare specifically for setting up a learning environment.

You will need enough RAM on the workstation to handle the environment, (16GB is what I have in mine, and it works fine).

There are numerous blogs with guides about setting this up.  Just google "VMware Nested Environment".

Tory