[ale] Coursera: Arduino and C

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:33:34 EDT 2018

Anyone UNO offer

https://www.gotechnic.org/products/basic-kit-arduino-uno-r3

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Charles Shapiro via Ale <ale at ale.org>
wrote:

> Oh, sorry, you right of course.
>
> I'm controlling the LED through a CGI script ( or with a server written
> with CherryPy).  My real limitation is that I'm only inputting whole second
> values through the web page -- which is easily fixable at the cost of more
> complex code.  I'm not going there for a demo.
>
> What I was trying to say was that Raspbian is multi-user, hence a little
> bit non-deterministic when it comes to really precise timing out the GPIO
> pins.  If you *** must must must *** have a precise schedule, you probably
> want ROS or some other RTOS, rather than a time-sharing one.
>
> -- CHS
>
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 2:18 AM, Joe Knapka via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 10:20 AM, Charles Shapiro via Ale <ale at ale.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Byron is correct.   I'm currently working on an "Intro to Raspberry Pi"
>>> class for Decatur Makers.  I've got code to control an LED from a browser
>>> in several different ways.  It's pretty hard to get the LED to blink faster
>>> than about once a second on a Pi running Raspbian because you're talking to
>>> it through an entire multi-user OS.
>>>

>> I find that statement... shocking, I guess. There's an OS, yes, but also
>> the RPi is clocked 100-ish times faster than an Uno. I mean it can render
>> full-motion video in real time, right? C code to twiddle a pin on the RPi
>> ought to be able to flash an LED at a rate that looks like steady-on to a
>> human... your web page can invoke that C code as a CGI script or whatever.
>>
>> Or when you say "control an LED from a browser", do you mean the on/off
>> transitions are being controlled by code running in the browser? Because
>> then that would make sense to me. But it wouldn't be about Arduino vs RPi,
>> it would be about browser+network vs hardware.
>>
>> Confused,
>>
>> - JK
>>
>> [snip]

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.