[ale] Breaking into the field [Inquiry]

Antony Natale antonynatale at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:22:35 EDT 2017

As someone who is pretty new to the field I can only offer what I did but frankly I feel my success is equal parts hard work and luck. I was working in retail for years, mostly in print  when I decided I was going to pursue my new found passion. I had worked on getting some certifications to try and get some entry level help desk work being my only experience was personal, not work related. After a year of applying I got nothing.

A year later I decided to go back to school for an IT degree and started applying again and got lucky and nailed a great desktop support job for an insurance company. Maybe it was the promise of a degree or coincidence, who knows. Only complaint was there was zero linux. So I focused on learning all I could there, and outside of work learned all I could about linux through reading, VM labs, Linux academy, just doing all I can.

Finally, thanks to the ALE, a job posting came for a junior admin position saying they would take entry level. I didn't expect to get it but I did and I think its only because I could get through 50 minutes of various Linux related grilling and show how passionate I was about the job.

So my suggestion is do all you can on your own, setup labs and vms, etc and shoot for the entry level jobs, and be ready to commit some time to learn because in the end my life is so much better for it. Thanks for getting me the job ALE!

Sorry for the novel

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​