[ale] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 11:19:09 EDT 2017

On September 11, 2017 10:04:42 AM EDT, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>Jim,
>
>On Mon, September 11, 2017 9:51 am, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> 10G multimode with lc connectors.
>
>is it "easy" to build these?  Are there LC connector keystone jacks
>available?
>
>> Unless you _really_ are forward looking and install 100G.
>
>OM3 fiber looks like it will get to 40/100G
>
>> Otherwise install conduit and spare pull strings. That really
>> future-proofs an install.
>>
>> I would plan for a 1" conduit with a single cat6, one rg6, one low
>voltage
>> line (music) and a pull string.
>
>I'm not sure this is REALLY an option for me.I feel it is certainly a
>more
>expensive option vs just running a bunch of cables now.
>
>> Spend money on a distribution center that all these lines start from.
>Good
>> 10G switch, powered cable splitter, good remote adjustable amp for
>music
>> control.
>
>Yes.  My current house has a 96-port RJ45 patch panel (2/3 full).  I
>would
>definitely repeat that.  Similar with audio -- I've got a 6-zone amp
>(although I dont think my current one is remotely adjustable -- but I
>just
>adjust via iTunes).
>
>I'm still researching TV/HDMI distribution systems....
>
>Oh, and trying to find a good 16-24-port PoE (10/)100/1000 switch.

Look at Ubiquity. They have a selection of PoE switches in various port counts and rather affordable pricing. I've got a WAP and a 16 port 10G switch from them. Pretty happy with both. Control software is closed source. Hardware looks like it may run the open switch software whose name escapes me.

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.