[ale] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Sep 11 10:04:42 EDT 2017

Jim,

On Mon, September 11, 2017 9:51 am, Jim Kinney wrote:
> 10G multimode with lc connectors.

is it "easy" to build these?  Are there LC connector keystone jacks
available?

> Unless you _really_ are forward looking and install 100G.

OM3 fiber looks like it will get to 40/100G

> Otherwise install conduit and spare pull strings. That really
> future-proofs an install.
>
> I would plan for a 1" conduit with a single cat6, one rg6, one low voltage
> line (music) and a pull string.

I'm not sure this is REALLY an option for me.I feel it is certainly a more
expensive option vs just running a bunch of cables now.

> Spend money on a distribution center that all these lines start from. Good
> 10G switch, powered cable splitter, good remote adjustable amp for music
> control.

Yes.  My current house has a 96-port RJ45 patch panel (2/3 full).  I would
definitely repeat that.  Similar with audio -- I've got a 6-zone amp
(although I dont think my current one is remotely adjustable -- but I just
adjust via iTunes).

I'm still researching TV/HDMI distribution systems....

Oh, and trying to find a good 16-24-port PoE (10/)100/1000 switch.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745