[ale] please bow your head for a moment of silence...

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Sep 6 11:35:35 EDT 2017

The article about the layoffs:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/04/oracle_layoffs_solaris_sparc_teams/

Carly didn’t kill HP-UX – it was alive and (mostly) well after she left.   What they did kill is the PA-RISC chip in favor of Itanium.   I recently saw a job posting requesting HP-UX but it was the first I saw in some time but truth be told HP-UX was always a niche admin position based on all my job searches over the years.   Oddly enough it was Oracle that tried to kill  HP-UX after they bought Sun by announcing they wouldn’t support Itanium any longer.  I *think* HP successfully sued them over that and they were required to continue support for another 10 years but don’t recall how long ago that was.

I too see a Solaris being requested frequently.   I see more for AIX.

A few years back I turned down a friends offer to present me to his company for another job because I  didn’t want to do “only” Linux.   Now I’d not consider any job that isn’t primarily Linux.   I liked UNIX (HP-UX most of all) but most people have been migrating to Linux off of UNIX for several years.   As of last year we quit using our last UNIX systems when we retired the payroll software that required it.