[ale] What's my job title?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue May 9 19:06:49 EDT 2017

In the field of Computers Science (or if you prefer IT), an Engineer, in
an IT dept. is a person who designs and builds system to specs.  In
Canada, you can not be called an Engineer with out a degree by law.
That is why COMPTIA issues LPI level 1-3.  COMPTIA is based in Canada
and call not call you a Certified Linux Engineer.

As for source, I called COMPTIA a few years ago and asked about
equivocal certifications and titles.  In The USA,  you CAN and most
likely are called an Engineer.  Nobody confuses that with a guy who
builds a road, building, bridge, or designs IC chips/systems. I can see
if you are working for an Engineering firm (of any kind, civil or
otherwise), then most likey they would not call their computer engineers
"Engineers", but only for clarity's sake.

In These United States, you may call yourself a Computer Engineer and
not fear prosecution (Red Hat Certified Engineer anybody?). Anything
else is just pish posh elitism AND is just an opinion, in all it's glory
and authority.