[ale] CentOS 7 Build questions on network config files

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue May 9 15:22:42 EDT 2017

Haven’t done it with Kickstart but I found on RHEL7 it expects the DNS entries to be defined in your primary interface (e.g. ifcfg-eth0) and will overwrite resolv.conf with that on start up because of Network Manager.   Network Manager on RHEL7 (and even later versions of RHEL6) is much better than the early RHEL6 implementation so I use it most of the time these days.  We use static IPs in our ifcfg-* files as we always have – not DHCP.

You can of course manually edit resolv.conf but as noted it will get overwritten any time networking is restarted (even without DHCP).

By the way, doesn’t Kickstart expect DHCP for initial IP assignment?