[ale] PGP/GPG

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Mar 22 17:02:44 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-22 13:48, Kyle Brieden wrote:
> I would love to have a key sign party and maybe a talk on PGP theory,
> why it works, how it works, how to use it, etc... :D
>
> As far as making it easier to use, keybase.io is just about the most
> user-friendly implementation I've found thus far.  Definitely worth
> checking out.

I'm sure it's easy for me to use but I don't have a problem with
Enigmail either. My parents would have a problem with Enigmail or
anything command line driven.  It would have to be something very well
integrated with a mail client that is nearly transparent.  Engimail
isn't transparent though it is reasonably integrated.

As it is I finally got them to start using a password manager (KeePass)
which is transparent enough.  It reduced the logic level down to "Press
these three keys anytime you need to log into a website" from what it
was before ("Go find the Post-It note").  They haven't done all of their
websites yet but they're slowly changing them.  So a PGP workflow really
has to be that simple to use.  The ideal case in that respect is to be
able to configure the mail client such that "This recipient always gets
encrypted mail." and everything is sorted out in the background.  Since
there would only be a very select few recipients that would need it, I
can help them with the initial setup and after that it works in the
background.