[ale] systemd bad. Very bad.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 08:37:19 EDT 2017

Thanks for that link! It's reasoning I've surmised from watching what
systemd does now but never saw the motivation so clearly.

This might fork/hijack the thread but...

Linux used to work hard hard to outdo Microsoft. The references to Apple
made it clear I'm not the only person who sees Apple as a greater and more
subtle threat to Linux than Microsoft. When OSX arrived, I was shocked at
the number of macbooks that appeared at Linux conferences. It's good that
good ideas from other OS environments are implemented into Linux. Let's be
honest here - the goal of total world domination is really about making the
best OS ever.

So systemd is sort of a "shot across the bow" of Apple. That's a good
thing. Gnome implemented some design and function ideas from OSX as well.
If Linux is going to ever be a viable desktop for the general masses, it
will have to do better than than the perceived flagship standard of desktop
environments: Apple.

Apple only works as well as it does because it's a closed loop, hardware to
software to user, fully-controlled environment. Yes, Apple controls their
users almost as tightly as their hardware supply chain. If Linux systems
only had to run on 3 new laptops a year with varying ram and storage, I
suspect the Linux UI would be a star in a field of flashlights. We already
beat Apple in the server arena - they quit.

So, yeah. Systemd taking on Apple to make a better init is a big step
forward. Maybe a shim library to run 3rd party software for OSX on Linux is
next.