[ale] systemd bad. Very bad.

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Jun 29 21:09:56 EDT 2017

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 14:51:23 -0500
"Joey Kelly" <joey at joeykelly.net> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 01:25:31PM -0500, Joey Kelly wrote:
> >> One more in a long list of reasons why systemd is a horrible and
> >> risky proposition: putting DNS resolution in your init system:
> >
> > You're right; putting DNS resolution into your init system is a
> > horrible idea.  Fortunately, no init systems -- systemd included --
> > do that.
> >
> > You have a lot more to learn.
> >
> >  - Solomon
>
> systemd claims to be an init system. systemd-resolved is part of
> systemd. I guess I do have a lot more to learn.

LOL, Joey, you brought logic into the conversation. I can hardly wait
to see the rebuttal attempt :-)

When I read the combination of
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2017-9445 plus
Soloman's assertion that "Fortunately, no init systems --- systemd
included --- do that", I knew some BS was being spoken by someone,
and I didn't suspect the folks at CVE.

More humorous was his "you have a lot more to learn" comment
immediately following his statement of alternative facts.

As systemd continues to expand its attack surface, doing so in a way
that you can't just plug-swap an alternative component for a systemd
component, the probablility of problems increases. My favorite
warning about this is http://ewontfix.com/14/ .

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key