[ale] systemd bad. Very bad.

Alan Hightower alan at alanlee.org
Thu Jun 29 18:13:47 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-29 15:58, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:

> Based on your logic, no one should use OpenSSL because it was once vulnerable to Heartbleed...
>
> If you don't like systemd that is fine but using this as your reasoning is a bit off in my not so humble opinion.

As a 3rd party to the conversation, I don't believe that comment is
fair. The Heartbleed vulnerability was focused on the primary purpose of
SSL (encrypted connectivity). You cannot avoid those issues without
limiting the base functionality.

I believe the original poster's point was DNS look-ups are outside the
core feature of what an init system is supposed to provide - local-only
hierarchical control of system startup. If I added the ability to
monitor Trump's Twitter feed to automatically start and stop services to
systemd, I am corrupting the core purpose and adding unnecessary code
which compounds many problems including security (and his ego!). Not the
same thing as Heartbleed IMNSHO.

-Alan