[ale] Basic/playing-around distro

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 10:42:12 EDT 2017

Picking up where SteveT left off, wouldn't a $40 RPi3 be adequate to the
task? With TDP in the range of an old school (pre LED) kid's night light at
something like what 8 watts power consumption, you could run it fanless,
reducing both noise and failure points. Just guessing, but a minimally
tasked older system, esp. if P4, would likely draw over 10x more power.

I'm not great with math, but if I did the numbers right 8Wx24x365/1000 =
70.08kWH/year at average of $0.10/kWH = $7.01/year for the Pi vs ~ $70/year
for the PC (even more if P4). So it wouldn't take too many months to
recover the cost of new RPi based system vs using an old decommissioned PC.

Greg C