[ale] NAS recommendations

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:38:16 EDT 2017

On 6/15/2017 9:29 AM, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Any ALEr Words of Wisdom wrt desktop NAS?
> Looking for something appropriate for, but not limited to, photography.
> Some years ago Drobo demoed at (I think) AUUG.  (Might've been ALE.)
> Was kinda nifty for the time but I'm sure things have improved since.
> Synology?  QNAP?
> Build something myself?  JBOD?
> Looks like they all running Linux inside these days.
> Rackmount ones look lots more expensive.
> Ideas?  What to look for?  Stay away from?  Thanks, Ken
You said "photography" but that isn't enough information really. What is
your workflow? What speeds do you expect for access? What is your backup
scheme? How much risk are you willing to tolerate with respect to loss
of access, loss of data, loss of time (in maintenance).

You've gotten some VERY good answers so far but I think everybody has
just been giving them based on their own use cases. YOUR use case will
probably end up defining what the best options are for you. Its all
about the use case.

When it comes to NAS appliances, I've been a solid synology person for a
while now. I have seen the Drobo units have issues with the default
spin-up/spin-down time on drives and having them go to sleep too much
when you aren't using them. Especially if you use them for iSCSI *shudder*.

As far as build your own. FreeNas or Nas4Free are the quick and dirty
solutions. Nas4Free does ZFS quite well if I recall.

hope this helps.