[ale] NAS recommendations

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Jun 16 00:50:18 EDT 2017

I still have my TO materials for the server I built and I had to consult
them - it's been seven years. :)

I used two 3ware SAS cards for the 14 faster/smaller drives and a 3ware
SATA card for eight slower/bigger drives. The production shares were on
the SAS drives and the SATA drives were for offlining and processing
backups. All the 3ware cards were JBOD and mdraid handled everything.
The Supermicro mobo had six SATA ports; two went to 80GB drives on the
front panel that were used for swap and /var and two went to SSDs inside
the case that held /boot, /auxboot/, and root in an RAID1. The SAS
drives were paired off, one per controller, made into RAID1, then all
seven of those pairs were made into a RAID0. The splitting was so that I
could lose an entire SAS controller and the md volume would just keep on
running.

Using kernel raid and controllers in JBOD mode meant that if the primary
machine's mobo *did* fry, I could just slam 22 disks from its front
panel into the secondary, boot it up, change the IP address, and carry
on. Pointy-hairs tend to want to only buy things with service
contracts...well, I've seen many cases where the practical reality of
having some tech figure out where your office is, row through traffic,
and show up with a motherboard that turns out to be the wrong one so he
has to go back to the shop, etc., etc. - once even server-grade hardware
got commoditized and fairly well standardized, the
DEC/HP/IBM/Sun/SGI/Dell way of dealing with breakage just didn't make
sense. I know some people will go there anyway but my public-sector work
ethic of committing to get the most value for the least money (later
adding "under the least restrictive conditions" once I went Open Source)
never left me.

Oh, and I also stuffed a high-end dual gig-E NIC in a slot (bonded) and
used that for production. Much like with the disk controllers, you want
to avoid depending on mobo functions where you can; I'd much rather
replace a lightning-fried NIC than a motherboard.