[ale] Quiet spinning drives?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Feb 15 20:49:32 EST 2017

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 12:39:21 -0800
Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

> That's an SSD which I don't think is going to apply in this case to a
> single-drive system (OS, data and swap).  The concern in this case is
> the data rewrites (especially swap) that would wear on an SSD.  That's
> why I feel this machine really needs a spinning disk.

First of all, you can only expect 3 years from a drive anyway. Anything
extra is an unexpected goodie. You're using 1GB right now. If you used
a 512GB SSD (I think those are under $100 now) and ran fstrim on all
its partitions every couple midnights, I'm pretty sure it would take a
loooooooong time for the drive to start suffering from rewrite-itis.

I could be wrong, but if I am, you lost $100. If I'm right, it might
run perfectly for 10 years.

LOL, maybe use USB3 thumb drive partitions for swap and for /tmp.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive