[ale] OT: unlimited plans !?!

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Feb 15 15:39:58 EST 2017

I have on several occasions found some Verizon towers have great voice,
but awful data.

I remember one weekend several years back having to do a major Linux DB
upgrade while camping in SC at a state park up in the mountains.   Had a
4 bar 3G signal.   Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, negligible data.
Like .1kbps either way.   VPN just wouldn't fire up, or if it did, SSH
sessions wouldn't work.    After some quality time with Verizon support,
and gave up and took my notebook to the Ranger's station.     Had to
share the campground wireless with 7 teenage girls who hovered around it
apparently so they could send chat messages to each other on their
iPhones.    (because, LIKE, what ELSE could you do camping in the
mountains)

So we tend to run a DSL speed check when we stop for the night, and
sometimes throughput is so bad it's not worth starting the VPN.   It
seems to happen more at campgrounds.   One suspects Verizon can set
voice versus data priority.

Ergo, unlimited could be a suspect assumption.