[ale] Developer learning track question

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 07:51:49 EST 2017

Looking for guidance from you hot stuff developers who have worked on
decent sized projects.

I have this great plan that combines several tools and provides good stuff.
It may even be a fun Open Source product down the road, but right now it
requires me to learn several things. Along with this I have some days where
I'll be free to spend time as I like.

My glue language is Ruby but parts of the tool would likely be in MongoDB,
Neo4J, PHP, and maybe even Go. Already using Ruby and SQLite, adding
RubyTk. Recently put together a gem and need to add more unit tests and
rspec.

The question is; when you are figuring out the parts and you're not an
expert in any one bit, is it better to become an expert in one bit before
learning the next part? Or, better to learn enough of the other parts as
they will shape how things need to look?

For example, I'm designing the main object in Ruby now. However, when I
start adding MongoDB for back end storage and Neo4J for relationship
mapping it may well change what I need from that object. Is it better to
focus on my OOP skills first, or mix in the other stuff so the education is
wider but potentially more shallow?

Make sense?

Leam

--