[ale] USB disk enclosures?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon Dec 18 11:28:01 EST 2017

I bought a Vantec enclosure a while ago but I think you're going to have
noisy enclosures no matter what unless you shell out for high end
multi-bay enclosures (which have bigger fans) or buy ball bearing fans
and replace them yourself.  The low end enclosures use sleeve bearings
which wear out quickly given their size and the speed of small fans.

A quick check of DigiKey shows there are over 100 5-volt fans with ball
bearings in stock and they range in size from 25 mm to 120 mm.  Ball
bearing fans tend to be thicker, though, so that may be an issue for
some enclosures.