[ale] Appropriate hypervisor?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:53:39 EDT 2017

May have elements of pipedream but may also have bits of reality in it
as well.
A recent upgrade in Ovirt, which uses kvm exclusively, added the
ability to have direct hardware passthrough. This includes things like
fancy expensive NVidia graphics cards and other stuff on the PCI bus.
I've not yet tested this but kvm may be the tool you want to try.
On Tue, 2017-08-01 at 16:50 -0400, Dow Hurst via Ale wrote:
> Is there a hypervisor available that makes it possible to display VM
> graphical interfaces on different virtual terminals on same machine
> running a level 1 hypervisor that is providing nvidia PCIE
> passthrough? Linux on one virtual terminal, Windows 10 on another, a
> different VM on another? The hypervisor would have to load share the
> nvidia card among the booted VMs to provide graphical services.  As
> the user hotkeys between the VMs, the underlying hardware such as USB
> or keyboard focus would be switching as well.  The hardware is Vt-d
> capable and compatible for gpu passthrough, but there is on one
> monitor hooked to the system.
>
> Is this just a pipedream at this point in time?
> Sincerely,
> Dow
> ⚛Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
>        340 Sullivan Science Bldg.       Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
>        University of North Carolina at Greensboro
>        PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain