[ale] Thank you guys

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Wed Apr 19 10:17:38 EDT 2017

Chuck - Thanks for the presentation! I really enjoy seeing how other
orgs work.  I've used Ansible at two different orgs, and it's been very
different beasts at both.  Looks like you use it the way I feel it was
meant to be used.

To James' point, my current org does use it from a central server so as
to have as few "keys to the kingdom" as necessary floating around.  It
SSH's as root from a centrally managed server, using that server's root
keys.  On top of that, everyone is expected (and I guess instructed) to
work on new playbooks in their home dir, then, when the playbook is
ready, drop it into the central location for "safe" books for group use.
  My last job, however, maintained a much different workflow.

We had a central "Config Management (CM)" box.  That box did many
things, automated tasks, cron jobs, etc... and we were able to use it
for one-off jobs and such across the farm, as well.  We could also have
Ansible on our local machine and still operate against the farm if we
needed.  We used LDAP for central auth with our own pubkey stored in an
LDAP object.  Those of us on the engineering and operations teams had
full sudo privileges, so we could have Ansible reach out from our local
machine as our user and then sudo up.  With this, we had a central
"repository" for the "hey, that's a really useful playbook, would you
mind sharing it with me?" books, but everyone kinda had their own stock
of one-off, audit, "this job" kind of playbooks.

tl;dr - Ansible is an interesting tool that can be used for large scale
orchestration or simply large scale administration.

---
Very respectfully,
Kyle Brieden