[ale] Why Run your own email server?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Sep 30 10:15:36 EDT 2016

Just wanted to say - great discussions!

Appreciated.  There isn't any single, correct, answer.

If you need an MS-Exchange replacement - take a look at Zimbra. There
are integrations with most CRM systems available.  I've used 2
previously.  There are integrations for owncloud/nextcloud and probably
50 other systems too.

Zimbra has configurable delayed deletion and can have all
outbound/inbound emails sent to an archive account for regulation
purposes. Of course, accounts can be internal or externally managed
(LDAP/AD). I've used Zimbra's LDAP for a centralized authentication.
That GUI was nicer than adding a separate LDAP GUI.  Just had to train
employees to only change their Zimbra password and all other systems
would pick it up immediately. Not quite SSO, but nicer than other
options.  Haven't looked recently, but I bet 2FA is supported now.

Zimbra can be a pain, but ... well, if you need some or all those
things, show me a system you can host that isn't.  Just another option.
Be certain to use an email-gateway that can be easily maintained and
patched with any complex email system. ;)