[ale] Bash vs Perl

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 25 10:57:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:08:48 -0400
leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> My unsolicited opinion, based off using Ruby, is that if the cost of
> a fork is critical use C or Go. Otherwise, "a difference that makes
> no difference is no difference".

Bash **REALLY** slows for fork. Run the test program inside a big loop.
If I remember correctly, it's an order of magnitude slower than the
same loop in Python, all because of spawning test.

High repetition loops in Bash are much worse than in Python or Perl.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28