[ale] Life on the Other Side

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Mon Oct 10 13:17:57 EDT 2016

Yup.

I will add this one...

No company wide ticketing system and no consistent way to report a problem.

As a developer you deal with:
1. developer program
2. itunes connect
3. itunes support
4. b2b program.
5. consumer support for hw repair.

Each of those has its own support people that cannot and will not talk to
each other.

This lets them tell you that you have to talk to the other group when ever
you have a problem.  There is no centralized ticket so that they can hand
the ticket over to the other group.

The worst is itunes connect support.  That is done by email with a 48 hour
turn around.  I have literally waited 48 hours for a response: "Are you
still having a problem?" To which I responded yes (within 5 minutes) and
waited 48 hours to get their second response.

To manage this I create a forum post (on apple developer website) with my
current state of my issue and all new information.  When I submit the
problem to Apple I give them the URL to the issue.  I update the issue with
each interaction with Apple so that when it is handed off between groups at
Apple they can see the history without it being muddled in an email thread.

All their support people are very well trained.  The consumer support will
often go beyond their specified things they support to help.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there's a GPL v. 3.1 with a clause like "this can't be
> run on a system that relies on closed source, proprietary software for it's
> basic operation".
>
> I guess the sledgehammer wielding savior of the servants of the computer
> overlords has, as Orwell made plain, become "more equal" and now rules the
> animal farm.
>
> On Oct 10, 2016 9:48 AM, "Charles Shapiro" <hooterpincher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Wow.  It's tough out there.