[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Mar 31 17:10:46 EDT 2016

On 2016-03-31 13:45, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 03/31/2016 03:06 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> Schedule data is only really available from DirecTV and they do mess it
>> up fairly often.  Sometimes shows start a few minutes early or late,
>> other times it's the wrong title so you have no idea what happened until
>> the opening credits roll.  It also doesn't matter what network, the
>> network schedule and DirecTV's schedule very frequently do not match at
>> all (because DirecTV repeats shows on some networks for east coast and
>> west coast).  So I'd have to rely on DirecTV's scheduling, couldn't use
>> anything else.
>
> SchedulesDirect.org, the provider for MythTV and many other open-source
> projects that include schedules, allows you to select DirecTV as a
> provider.  SD.org is a non-profit front-end to Tribune Media Services,
> the 900 lb gorilla in this market that everyone seems to use.  You might
> be surprised.  $25/yr.  Two-month trial $6.
>
> http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

No, not going to pay a subscription for a schedule.  I don't want a
monthly fee for a box so I certainly don't want one for a simple
schedule.  They are also getting some wrong data on the DirecTV schedule
anyway.  The guide from the dish doesn't match what's published.  This
is what I mean by "only really available".  They don't push out timely
updates.  I've used other schedule websites before just to look for
shows and they're usually showing some wrong information when I compare
against the guide on the receiver.  For example, on some cable networks
these  online guides will show a full show lineup but DirecTV has a
cyclic lineup (the same show airs twice or three times each offset by
three hours).  The only thing that is close to correct (and sometimes
not even) is DirecTV's own on-air guide.

Things may change if the FCC wins and makes the providers transmit
schedule data in an open format.

> As to the hardware, you should consider the older Hauppage products.
> Back when I was still on unencrypted analog cable, I had a PVR-500
> hooked to MythTV.  Hardware encoding.  Supports NTSC tuning (now
> useless), S-Video, and composite inputs.  Identical to the PVR-250, but
> with dual tuners & encoders.  Still supported by MythTV.  Warning: PCI
> slot, not PCIe.

PCI precludes a small, silent machine (other than Mini-ITX but that
really does require airflow and those cases aren't typically the best
with that).  I'd rather stay with current hardware.  PCIe may be ok but
it rules out things like a NUC so I'd have to get something with a PCIe
slot that's smaller than Mini-ITX or it would have to be something with
USB for NUCs.