[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Mar 31 07:04:36 EDT 2016

On 03/31/2016 12:25 AM, Byron Jeff wrote:

> The Raspi2 does a decent job as long as the hardware decoder is enabled.
> However, the CPU doesn't have enough horsepower to decode streams in
> software.

It is only HiDef MPEG2 streams that gives the R-Pi v2 issues.  SD isn't
an issue - the CPU and SW handles it easily.  For h.264 stuff (pretty
much all web stuff these days), it handles 1080p and lower fine.

About 5 yrs ago, I did some testing for a client with different CPUs to
see what resolutions could be handled.  An Atom N280  handled 600p in
software, but couldn't handle 720p.  Almost any CPU made in the last 10
yrs can handle DVD resolutions in SW.

Don't know if it handles BluRay stuff (VC-1) or not without the add-on
codec (about US$5.50 for both) license.
http://www.raspberrypi.com/license-keys/ I consider BlueRay
Broken-By-Design and won't have any. As you can tell, my boycott has
devastated the makers. ;)