[ale] memory requirements

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Mar 25 18:22:43 EDT 2016

2GB isn't enough for modern systems.  I had lockups with 2G of RAM and 2G swap.
 Had to double swap to 4G to prevent memory suckage.  Plus, I wasn't running
**any** DE, just openbox.

For servers, 2G is vast overkill for all but the heaviest software .... or
running Java. Java always needs 16G of RAM - ALWAYS!

If you are looking at a chromebox/chromebook to use as a normal desktop, get a
4G RAM model and avoid last year's Celeron-N/Atom CPUs.  The 3015 or 5015 CPUs
are nice.  If the plan is to run a small, home, server for photos, media
playback, or Plex, then 512G is plenty.  Extra RAM will be used for disk buffers
- which isn't a bad thing.

If you do Linux virtualization, 2G isn't enough to begin.  4G is enough for 2
small server VMs that will run well and the hostOS won't suck too.

This assumes a reasonably modern CPU with 3000K passmarks or more.  That's
pretty easy to get in a chromebook for $330.

So ... for what purpose is the machine?