[ale] Need Cable Modem Recommendation

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Jul 19 10:28:32 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 10:13:37AM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Last year at our office our service would go down. It always seemed to happen during a presentation to customers, prospects, etc. You can imagine how urgent fixing it became. The SMC modem provided no data in an automated way. I wrote a program that would test the Internet via ping and then if there was failure it would web scrape that modem and look for stats. It turned out that the mode reported all was well during these events. I tested vs our network by testing from the ethernet of the modem vs our internal router connected to it. Same issues.

At $dayjob, we had one of those SMC modems -- and it also gave us
stabiliy issues.  It was eventually replaced with a Netgear box, and
things have been problem-free since then.

I also have one of those Netgear boxes at home, and it hasn't so much as
hiccupped in the past three or so years -- or at least every outage was
upstream of my local node. (As an aside, I've probably paid Comcast
triple the box's MSRP, but such is the joy of ComcastBiz and static IPs)

They still don't offer static IPv6 addresses, though it's at least
being tested in a few markets.  I will be quite pissed if they try to
charge an additional premium for that on top of what I'm paying for
static IPv4.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^