[ale] Need Cable Modem Recommendation

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jul 19 10:13:37 EDT 2016

I'm hoping I have that luck at home.

Last year at our office our service would go down. It always seemed to happen during a presentation to customers, prospects, etc. You can imagine how urgent fixing it became. The SMC modem provided no data in an automated way. I wrote a program that would test the Internet via ping and then if there was failure it would web scrape that modem and look for stats. It turned out that the mode reported all was well during these events. I tested vs our network by testing from the ethernet of the modem vs our internal router connected to it. Same issues.

The company next door moved out and the problem went away.