[ale] flatbed scanner

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 14:28:17 EST 2016

The sane-project web site has a list of supported scanners. But there
are hundreds of them listed there. Maybe I could settle on a price
range, go through the list, google for reviews, and narrow down my
choices a little.

PS: I have no idea how old my scanner was when it broke down. Somebody
just gave it to me about 15 years ago because they couldn't find drivers
for it for XP -- yes, XP. But linux supported it and still does.

-- Todd

On 01/04/2016 01:13 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Todor,
> I'm 99% certain that all the flatbed scanners at MicroCenter will work
> perfectly with SANE. That should be the backend for all Linux scanner
> software. As much as HP irritates me, I would not hesitate to buy the
> $300 one with the sheet feeder if I were in the market. I have a 10+
> year old Epson that is USB v.1.1 only but it works perfectly still.
> On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 12:58 -0600, Todor Fassl wrote:
>> My flatbed scanner died recently. I'm blind and I need a flatbed
>> scanner
>> to OCR my mail and books and stuff. Anybody have a recommendation for
>> linux compatible flatbed scanner for use with tesseract?  I don't
>> evn
>> know how much I should expect to pay. I see scanners out there for
>> $200
>> and others for $1200.

Todd