[ale] Linux-based financial tools?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Feb 8 12:04:16 EST 2016

In line below.

> Jmoney is pretty close. Might be different name than that. Java base personal
> accounting. Big commercial gas several options. All big commercial tools are
> unwieldy on any/every platform.

Gonna sound like a lil-bitch here ....

"This version is the first implementation and dates back to 2002/2003. It is no
longer maintained ..."  2013-06-26 was the last update.
Java and php are a non-starters for me. I'd rather run Windows. Call it a
character flaw, if you like.

The jmoney devs ported it to Eclipse?  Shoot me already.

Jmoney-web is interesting, though I'm uncomfortable creating a website with my
finanicial data inside it. Web security is hard and I've not been impressed by
any web security recently.  Their demo site returns a 404. Nice.

Do you use this?

I use almost everything that Quicken can do except anything directly connected
to bank/brokerage accounts.  The list is too long to make here, but the very
short version is:
* bank registers, bill due dates, account balance tracking over time
* brokerage and stock prediction, monitoring, news, current and historical
pricing, splits, dividends, long-term/short-term cap gains decision tools
* credit cards
* IRA / 401k / taxable account tracking
* networth tracking, predictions
* retirement planning, checking, validation, predictions
* mortgage planning, tracking, pre-pay savings calculations
* loan amortization schedules, cost of load, payoff schedules and early payoff
savings (if you are paid 26/yr, but only pay your mortgage 12/yr, you could save
thousands over the life of a loan by paying 26/yr instead.  For example. Run the
numbers.
* Tax planning.
* Estate planning.

I use almost everything that isn't tied to any online accounts.

>> * Video editing with EDL cuts that can be manually validated efficiently; there
>> are many video editors, but NONE, ZERO, NADA support EDL. VideoRedo is the tool
>> to be replaced.
>
> Cinnelerra is all I've ever used for Linux video editing. It's very "pro"
> oriented and really want some beefy hardware. No idea what EDL is so can't say
> if it's supported.

Edit Decision Lists - like comskip and pretty much all commercial finding tools
create. There are 5+ different output formats. They aren't 100% accurate, so
manual validation is needed. That means a GUI.  Linux video editors appear to be
made for content creators, not content mixers, cutters.  AviDeMux is the
closest, but won't import EDLs.  Don't need any transcoding in the video editor.

>> * MS-Visio (cough - nothing is close and the 2003 version hasn't been improved,
>> IMHO)
>
> Gag. Visio.  Should be called Nausio. Dia is usable but nowhere near as
> complete. Doesn't have the huge array of prebuilt svg images as nausio. Saw a
> conversion tool years back that would export visio images to dia. The UML
> diagrams can be used to generate database table design. Then an external script
> will turn that into actual db create table  scripts.

Calling Dia "a toy" is being nice.  Things that can be accomplished in 10
minutes of Visio take 3 days in Dia and don't look nearly as good. Have seen
some other Windows-only tools that are 1/3 the cost of Visio and are reported to
run fine under WINE. Blowing $120 to see isn't something I'm willing to do.
OTOH, I'm not buying a new Visio either. I'll keep Win7 with Visio 2003 inside a
VM, un-networked until I die in 2090 if I must.

>> * Presentation broadcasting/captures - OBS isn't stable on Linux, IME. Works
>> great on Windows for some reason.
>>

> I've got something I working on for ale with the video conference gear at work.
> Been a while. Will get back to it ASAP. Handles camera/audio on speaker plus
> slide deck with simultaneously multicast and capture.

There are other groups and locations that need video/presentation recording.
Stability issues of OBS on Linux is something that team knows and seems to be
working on.

>> Everything else I do is done on non-Windows systems.
>> Ideas?
>
> My beer stuff is all linux - qbrew :-)

My drinking tends to be all linux too. ;) 14 min to noon!  Edits took me to
noon. Beer-o'clock!