[ale] Linux-based financial tools?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 11:31:20 EST 2016

On Feb 8, 2016 11:17 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> What Linux-based tools do you use to manage bank, brokerage, and other
financial
> accounts?
>
> I've been looking for a replacement to Quicken since ... 1989. Haven't
found
> anything except simple leger-type stuff.  Tried beancounter for a few
months,
> but went back to quicken and their mandated every-3 yr upgrade/downgrade
cycles.
> Since 2013, getting Quicken to run acceptably under WINE hasn't worked
for me
> either. It is one of the last 4 things I cannot accomplish on Linux,
sadly.
> * Quicken

Jmoney is pretty close. Might be different name than that. Java base
personal accounting. Big commercial gas several options. All big commercial
tools are unwieldy on any/every platform.

> * Video editing with EDL cuts that can be manually validated efficiently;
there
> are many video editors, but NONE, ZERO, NADA support EDL. VideoRedo is
the tool
> to be replaced.

Cinnelerra is all I've ever used for Linux video editing. It's very "pro"
oriented and really want some beefy hardware. No idea what EDL is so can't
say if it's supported.

> * MS-Visio (cough - nothing is close and the 2003 version hasn't been
improved,
> IMHO)

Gag. Visio.  Should be called Nausio. Dia is usable but nowhere near as
complete. Doesn't have the huge array of prebuilt svg images as nausio. Saw
a conversion tool years back that would export visio images to dia. The UML
diagrams can be used to generate database table design. Then an external
script will turn that into actual db create table  scripts.

> * Presentation broadcasting/captures - OBS isn't stable on Linux, IME.
Works
> great on Windows for some reason.

I've got something I working on for ale with the video conference gear at
work. Been a while. Will get back to it ASAP. Handles camera/audio on
speaker plus slide deck with simultaneously multicast and capture.

> Everything else I do is done on non-Windows systems.
> Ideas?

My beer stuff is all linux - qbrew :-)

> On 02/08/2016 10:59 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> > Bank of America also tells you you’re not liable due to their policies
> >

> > However, I think using debit cards is fairly stupid anyway.   Why give
random
> > strangers (sales clerks/wait staff/online merchants) direct access to
your bank
> > account?   Even if the bank gives you back your money you may still
have the
> > hassle of having checks bounce and/or cleaning up fees for overdrafts.
> >

> > I much prefer to use credit cards and pay them off every month.   If
you have
> > the discipline to do that you incur no interest charges.   You have the
benefit
> > of seeing all the charges BEFORE you pay from your bank account and can
dispute
> > any that aren’t right.  So long as an item is in dispute there is no
interest on
> > it and assuming the dispute is successful there never will be.
> >

> > One of the things I really like about BofA is they have a way to
generate random
> > credit card numbers that I can use doing online purchases (or if
someone says
> > they need a  card to confirm a reservation or the like).   Even better
is the
> > BofA (ShopSafe) cards:
> >
> > a)      Allow you to set a dollar limit
> >
> > b)      Allow you to set the expiration
> >
> > c)       Are only good at the first vendor that uses the card.  (i.e.
even if