[ale] 2016 InstallFest

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Aug 23 08:49:38 EDT 2016

On 08/22/2016 08:58 PM, H P Ladds wrote:
> Does the MythTV / Kodi enthusiasm mean a lack of interest in a embedded Linux Fest?
>
> I really hoped to do a Linux From Scratch install on the theory that knowing how
> to "roll your own" Linux distro would assist in making single purpose devices.
>
> I'm happy to do some heavy lifting organizing (at minimum) a MythTV / Kodi
> InstallFest. Does Schedules Direct still provide scheduling info? They sponsored
> the last one.

I just don't have any personal interest in embedded things.
That doesn't mean others aren't interested.

Never tried LFS. Back when I was doing stuff like this, we did it the hard way.
Kernel compiles and tgz files to create a running system. It's been 20+ yrs for me.

I use Win7-MC schedule data - when it works. MSFT changed providers a year ago
and 1 of my 2 recording boxes has never gotten new schedules since that point.
Don't know anything about SD. Use HD-Homerun tuners here. Much easier to use
inside a VM for recording than PCI-based cards. Plus the tuners can be closer to
the antenna which helps with signal loss.  IMHO.  Standard ethernet is a good
thing for a cross-house cable run.

Would be worth pointing out that in the next 10 yrs, ATSC v3 will likely be
approved and mpeg2 streams will be ended OTA.  They will switch to h.265 video
streaming which will break almost all our TVs and OTA tuners used today.
http://atsc.org/newsletter/atsc-3-0-where-we-stand/  This partially explains why
the h.264 video codec was given away. They won't do that with the h.265 video
codec.  Both ATSC and QAM tuners will be impacted as the stream type used merges
regardless of physical transport.