[ale] [OT] Cell phones

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Aug 18 13:13:22 EDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 12:21:22PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> ... it is far from end-of-life to me, but google disagrees.  "Major OTA"
> updates for 2 yrs and security patches for 3 yrs is their rule. Found
> these EoL dates:
>     Nexus 5X: September 2017
>     Nexus 6P: September 2017
>     Nexus 9: October 2016
>     Nexus 5: October 2015
>     Nexus 6: October 2016
>     Nexus 7 (2013): July 2015
>     Nexus 10: November 2014

3 years of support is pretty damn good for consumer-oriented gear.

> Heck, even Ubuntu LTS provides 5 yrs of support. Google can't do that?

If you could just install Ubuntu on a random phone, the comparison would
ve valid.  There's worlds of differences between supplying software that
runs entirely on commodity hardware (ie not having to write your own
drivers for anything) and the reality of consumer ARM gear.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^