[ale] [OT] Cell phones

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Thu Aug 18 12:30:29 EDT 2016

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 12:21 -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> > want to think about what they are buying.
>
> True, but they also sell to some very smart, but perhaps lazy, people
> > who feel they don't have time to figure out a workable solution for
all
> their mobile requirements.
>
> > If choosing Apple-anything, we need to be extremely cautious not to
get
> sucked into their other eco-system offerings. That can be cloud stuff
> > where social attacks have been effective or the imaginary property
sold
> > through their services. If I cannot legally inherit something forever
> > relatives at death, then it isn't something I want. Similarly, if use
of
> something I've "bought" can be taken away, I don't want it to start.
>
> Remember when Apple dropped all support for PPC-based systems before
> realistic EoL? Seemed rude to me.
>
> Android/Google isn't any better, I'm sad to say. Google drops support
> > for all sorts of things all the time. If those are cloud-based, we
are
> all screwed.  Remember google-reader?  I don't (run my own rss web
> reader for privacy reasons), but lots of people used it and had to
> scramble for a replacement.  Google drops support for android devices
> too. The Nexus4 hasn't seen any updates in a very long time and won't
> > see any OS updates again.  My idea of "life" is different from
Google's.
> > It is still working. Still holds 8+ hr charges. GPS/compass works,
etc
> > ... it is far from end-of-life to me, but google disagrees.  "Major
OTA"
> updates for 2 yrs and security patches for 3 yrs is their rule. Found
> these EoL dates:
>     Nexus 5X: September 2017
>     Nexus 6P: September 2017
>     Nexus 9: October 2016
>     Nexus 5: October 2015
>     Nexus 6: October 2016
>     Nexus 7 (2013): July 2015
>     Nexus 10: November 2014
>
> > Heck, even Ubuntu LTS provides 5 yrs of support. Google can't do
that?

> There really isn't any good option for non-contract people like me.
> > Perhaps it is time to drop back to my Motorola V125 which had 14 days
of
> standby and 2 days of talk?
>
> Perhaps there is a market for 5 yr support for devices? I'm really
> > talking about security updates for the OS. Nobody can control 3rd
party
> apps.

Thus the cyanogen world has a chance to rise beyond "also runs" status.
A business model that could really refurbish older phones with a new
cyanogen OS and new batteries and provide updates for security issues
for a reasonable length of time sounds like a very good idea.

I miss being able to dial by touch. Smart phone screen are pretty
useless to the vision impaired and the driving.

I dunno.
See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo