[ale] [OT] Cell phones

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:50:15 EDT 2016

Real writers use manual typewriters with carbon paper.  :-)

Look for what Verizon sells and find a working used one on swappa.com

That said, I dumped Verizon, moved to T-Mobile when I got the family
One+ 1 phones 2+ years ago. Went to Ireland with them and they worked
just fine. Had T-Mobile activate the $15/month overseas usage 3 days
before I left and turned it off when we got back. Wound up cabling my
laptop to my phone at one point for some emergency admin work back
home. No problems.

Our phones are now over two years old and get updated regularly (stock
cyanogen from One+). None of us have any reason or desire to upgrade as
they do everything we want and more than we use.

On Thu, 2016-08-18 at 10:17 -0400, Leam Hall wrote:
> > My current Galaxy S3 from Verizon hasn't been OS patched in a while
and
> > has been dropped more than once. A replacement might be good. Looking
at
> > the Verizon pages and doing the math, an unlocked S4 or S5 might be
> > good deal. I try to keep stuff until it dies and may do some
overseas
> travel.
>
> > Is the plan to buy my own and use it with Verizon feasible? What
other
> things should I look at? The goal is an Android based phone with a
> pretty simple usage pattern; text, calls, web, and one 3rd party app.
>
> > On a different note, my wife wants me to move to Mac and iPhone. I'm
> > fledgling writer and most of the tools real writers use don't work
on
> > CentOS.  :(  So, is there a reason for Android, in that I'm not at
the
> level of writing my own apps for it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Leam