[ale] OT: rant

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:17:53 EDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-08-17 at 11:32 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:

> [...]
script-fu to handle everything from simple dhcp through redundant
teaming with failover.But the output is still ifcfg-fu scripts in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scriptsThe article doesn't mention that 7 uses
pci bus name stuff like enp0s0f1 instead of eth0.
uses /etc/network/interfaces.  It seems to work very well.  I did not
have to disable NM to stop dhcp.  I said "static" and it was static.
 The scripting works well too.

And in RHEL/CentOS/Fedora land, NM can be ignored/disabled/removed and
plain static ifcfg-* scripts can be used. The only goal of
NetworkManager was to simplify the setup of networking. In it's
original form, it was nearly a total fail. In it's current form, it's a
very capable that can handle the heavy lifting of a complicated
configuration correctly through the admin choice of pure cli (the most
capable, most features), a simple text gui with curses (rather nice if
a tad clunky tabbing through menus) or a full gui if using gtk gui
stuff (does more than the tui version but not as much as the cli).

A big thing that happened after the entire admin world screamed was the
interim config files used by NM are no longer used. While they are used
to record the state of the network when NM launches or an interface is
open to change things, it is no longer consulted on bootup or network
restart as the source of config. The _real_ config is exactly that and
NM parses all of it for use in the GUIs. The cli makes direct changes
to the system files with no interim file storage at all on command
completion. There is a command, 'nmcli reload' that is used to resync
NM with the manual changes to the real config files. NM state is
captured at startup and manual changes are not stored after the fact
without the reload. The nmcli use the temp files to perform a test of
the proposed configuration. It has been my experience that manual
changes to the real config files are always used when the network is
started from boot or restarted from the console. That was a needed
change in function.

--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.