[ale] OT: Google Fiber has arrived in Atlanta

Dow Hurst dphurst at uncg.edu
Wed Aug 10 13:58:47 EDT 2016

We have NorthState in Greensboro, NC now.  It is fiber to the curb.  I've
switched over from Time Warner Cable, where I had 60Mbps down and 5Mbps up
consistently on a supposed 300Mbps down/5Mbps up plan.  With Northstate,
which is 1Gbps down and 30Mpbs up, I measure from my laptop connected
directly to my router 840Mpbs down and 30Mbps up consistently.  They let
you buy your own router so I did opt for an Asus AC3100 RT-AC88U.

I found TWC to be reliable and with great features for the phone, cable,
and internet package.  However, throughput was never what I hope to get.
Northstate has been reliable so far, a bit cheaper, but without as many
features.

Sincerely,
Dow
⚛Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
       340 Sullivan Science Bldg.
       Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
       University of North Carolina at Greensboro
       PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170