[ale] help with udev rule

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:59:07 EDT 2016

XML is useful if you have complex data to transmit and need to nest
multiple levels.  Most config files are not nested that deep, and
are not complex data structures.  Hell, I can't think of any that need more
than the X=Y properties type structure, although I'm sure there are some.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>
wrote:

> On 2016-08-05 10:05, Todor Fassl wrote:
> > The reason my rule didn't work for ubuntu is that the newer version of
> > udev has a different name for the attribute array. Instead of SYSFS it's
> > ATTR. If your rules file is 10-local.rules:
> >
> > sed -i 's/SYSFS/ATTR/g' 10-local.rules
> >
> > Part of the problem is that every system in linux has it's own little
> > programming language for it's config files. Too bad xml never caught on.
> > Well, xml kinda sucks, I guess that's why it never caughton.
> >

> Looking at your original rule, I think if you can make your rule a bit
> more specific you might avoid the reloads.  At the moment you only look
> at the vendor and product IDs.  Do an lsusb to see if anything else is
> sharing those numbers (always possible) and then use the verbose output
> of lsusb plus the output of udevadm (with an appropriate info query) to
> see if you can tailor the rule.

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps