[ale] help with udev rule

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:19:25 EDT 2016

Darn! I just tried the rule on an ubuntu xenial machine and it didn't
work at all! It works fine for debian jessie.

$$#@#%%^^! systemd or whatever! I mean, ubuntu and debian are pretty
similar. If my rule doesn't work on ubuntu, what are the odds of it
working for fedora or suse? Why doesn't anything ever work from one
system to another?

I don't care what anybody says -- linux is hard.

On 08/03/2016 08:10 PM, Ed Cashin wrote:
> Software changes, but all the modprobe versions I've seen only load the
> requested driver if it isn't already loaded.  Subsequent invocations for an
> already loaded driver are pretty much harmless.
>
> Are there any ill consequences you're seeing?
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Todor Fassl <fassl.tod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I want to write a udev rule to load a driver for a hardware speech
>> synthesizer. Many synths have both USB and serial connectors. The linux
>> screen reader always uses the serial port. But I thought I could write a
>> udev rule to detect when the synth is plugged into the USB port and then
>> load the driver for the serial port. So a blind person would have to plug
>> the synth into both the serial and the USB ports but I don't figure that is
>> a problem.  It is way easier than trying to log in without speech and then
>> try to type in the modprobe command. I am hoping to write a whole series of
>> these rules and then make them available for download.
>>
>> I got a rule to work but it seems to try to load the driver several times.
>> Is anybody experienced enough with udev rules to tell me if this is a
>> problem and if so, how it can be fixed? Here is my rule:
>>
>> ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0dd0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1002",
>> RUN="/sbin/modprobe speakup_ltlk"
>>

>> --
>> Todd

Todd