[ale] help with udev rule

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:08:19 EDT 2016

No harm as far as I can tell.  I am just worried that I'll put my rule
out there and people will call me names.

The one undesirable consequence is that the syslog entries are repeated.
That's why I think the udev rule is being executed several times. The
same log messages appear several times for each reboot. If I just type
in the modprobe command, it doesn't happen.

On 08/03/2016 08:10 PM, Ed Cashin wrote:
> Software changes, but all the modprobe versions I've seen only load the
> requested driver if it isn't already loaded.  Subsequent invocations for an
> already loaded driver are pretty much harmless.
>
> Are there any ill consequences you're seeing?
>
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Todor Fassl <fassl.tod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I want to write a udev rule to load a driver for a hardware speech
>> synthesizer. Many synths have both USB and serial connectors. The linux
>> screen reader always uses the serial port. But I thought I could write a
>> udev rule to detect when the synth is plugged into the USB port and then
>> load the driver for the serial port. So a blind person would have to plug
>> the synth into both the serial and the USB ports but I don't figure that is
>> a problem.  It is way easier than trying to log in without speech and then
>> try to type in the modprobe command. I am hoping to write a whole series of
>> these rules and then make them available for download.
>>
>> I got a rule to work but it seems to try to load the driver several times.
>> Is anybody experienced enough with udev rules to tell me if this is a
>> problem and if so, how it can be fixed? Here is my rule:
>>
>> ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0dd0", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1002",
>> RUN="/sbin/modprobe speakup_ltlk"
>>

>> --
>> Todd

Todd