[ale] LTS doesn't always mean LTS

LnxGnome lnxgnome at hopnet.net
Tue Apr 26 21:15:34 EDT 2016

James,

  I think it boils down to the use case.

I've been a diehard RHEL advocate on servers for about 12 years.
S.u.S.E. 6.x up through openSuSE 12 on the desktop, until I went Mac in
2013.

I tried Ubuntu server (16.04) this past weekend for the first time in
many years.  I wanted to compare how easy it would be to build a SAN
server on it.  Compared to CentOS7, the U was a lot faster to setup with
similar components.

CentOS72 - Ubuntu1604
Linux kernel 3.18 (kernel.org)  >-<  Linux kernel 4.4.0 (Ubuntu)
ZFS (ZFSonLinux)   >-<  ZFS (Ubuntu)
TargetCLI (source)   >-<  TargetCLI(Ubuntu) w/patch from Debian
Sernet-Samba (Sernet)   >-<  Samba (Ubuntu)
3 days   >-<  1 day

For this use case, ZFS is important, and the ZoL folks tend to pay more
attention to Ubuntu than 'EL', and conveniently Ubuntu is including ZFS
in 16.04.  This means less maintenance to do on my part, and more
compatibility testing, both of which work in my favor.  The only down
side is that ZFS isn't available during installation in U16.04.

RHEL7/CentOS7 fails on Target/FC support.  SCST would probably be it's
replacement in my case, but that's a less apple-to-apple comparison than
what I was looking for.

Lost in the bit bucket,
--LnxGnome