[ale] Latop displays as external monitor

Vernard Martin vernard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 08:04:48 EDT 2015

On 9/27/2015 2:15 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> Whether you can do it depends on how the specific display/laptop combo
> was designed. In many cases the DVI/VGA interface is actually embedded
> in the motherboard along with all the drive electronics and the
> connection to the LCD itself is essentially the raw LCD control
> signals (rows, columns, etc.) However, if the laptop's LCD panel
> segment has all the drive electronics behind it (rather than on the
> motherboard), it is possible that they then used a DVI/VGA interface
> on the motherboard and are sending that up the cable in the laptop's
> hinge. First step would be to open up the shell surrounding the LCD
> itself and look at the back of the module. If the controller is back
> there you can get a data sheet for the chip and find out how it's
> driven. __

I got an off list response that gave me all the info that I needed to do
this and its very very simple.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lcd-controller-board-hdmi

Basically find the models of LCD panels that you want. Cross-reference
with the appropriate controller kit and order away. There is even a list
of projects that other users have created with some of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-NT68676-2A-HDMI-DVI-VGA-Audio-LCD-LED-Screen-Controller-Board-Diy-Monitor-Kit-/110977522562

Almost exactly what I was planning on doing in several cases. And I can
build my custom unit for less than the cost of buying a 27" brand new
monitor it seems.

I have my next project ;)