[ale] RAID card for home use?

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Sun Sep 27 22:15:38 EDT 2015

The drives (Seagate 1TB) in my main PC are starting to act a little strange
after 4+ years of contiuous use and I am just about to rebuild the PC with
three new HGST drives. I have a simple RAID 0 (stripe) right now managed by
the standard motherboard Intel RAID.   I have a separate backup server
runninng so I don't really care that much about a drive failure.

I was thinking of getting an LSI 9260-4I card to squeeze a little more
performance out of the system.  I'd like to stay below $300 for the RAID
card. Do any of you use a RAID card in your home PCs?  One note... I do run
VMware Workstation and I run several "workstation" VMs (Windows 10, Windows
7, and Ubuntu).

Kind regards,
/Raj