[ale] Turn-key backup software

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 12:11:26 EDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 11:51 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Never underestimate the utility of locally controlled, offline
> backups!
>
> Bacula.
>
> It's a very complicated system but can all be run from a single
> machine. It's designed to be a GPL'ed replacement for the proprietary
> HP Omniback-like systems. So it supports the ability to restore
> itself from it's own backups using a bootable CD image generated
> periodically from the runing backup machine itself. It's not required
> for running it, but it's a very nice safety-blanket
>
> You can do some nice things for home users as well.
Dang. lost a line. Thumb hit on the trackpad again.
Users can have a task bar panel that allows for self-directed backup
and restore on both Linux AND winders. There's a winders client for
backups and the panel app.
> It's very reasonable to use roadwarriors to self-initiate a backup over a VPN connection. It also supports encrypted backup data with the key NEVER on the backup server(s) or backed up by the process (unless the folder storing it is backed up).
>
> It will store onto nearly anything, spinning disk, tape, tape libraries, optical media, WORM media, etc.
>
> It also has a very well written manual, something rare in the GPL world. You can also buy commercial support which helps fund more development.
Best aspect is it's designed to be an automatic process - set and
forget. Restores are pretty easy. Select restore, pick what and tell it
where and walk away. Best case is to restore to a new location and
migrate using local tools although you can totally resort to prior
system with an overwrite restore.

> On Mon, 2015-09-21 at 04:00 -0400, Alan Hightower wrote:
> >

> > I'm in need of a backup solution.
> >
> > First, most of my personal data I can't stand to lose I rsync across several servers at three physical locations nightly.  I also manually push it to cloud based cold storage occasionally.  But I don't currently version that data beyond the few source code repositories contained within.  All of my data, both critical and non, is kept on live storage that is RAID 6 or better.  Recently with the growing proliferation of cyptolocker variants, DoS attacks and penetration probes on my machines, etc, I have realized the work involved in replacing the non-critical data is just as significant and the risk of malicious damage just as real.
> >
> > I just picked up a free LTO-4 Ultium SAS drive from an enterprise upgrade and am looking to start keeping routine full, diff, and incremental off-line tape copies just in case.  I have two Linux boxes (one rsync'd to the other nightly) and a Windows 7 workstation I need to natively back-up.  And I am willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a commercial solution if it is pretty much turn-key and well supported when a disaster happens at 4am.  Does anyone have any recommendations on FOSS or budget commercial software that would support both client OSs, a 2 node install, fairly easy to use, and not ultra-finicky about distributions? (I'm running FC21 atm).
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > -Alan H.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.