[ale] Origins of Linux, do we care?

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 14:39:52 EDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 12:40 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Void has really sucky documentation, making it almost impossible to do
> it right the first time. So when (notice I don't say if) your Void
> install fails to reboot, what you need to do is once again boot from
> DVD (or in qemu from a .iso file), mount, chroot, and do your best to
> check out your grub.
I solved it by redoing the partitions to DOS, not gpt..

> When I installed it on my laptop last night, I found that the
> instructions I was using (efi instructions because I couldn't find mbr
> instructions) failed to build /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I did grub-mkconfig
> -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to solve that problem, and when I exited chroot,
> unmounted /, and rebooted, I got my grub menu and was able to boot to
> Void. Be sure also that your initrd and kernel are right, and that
> during the dracut part of the instructions you do just what it says.
>
> It's a lot of work on the user's part, and someone (maybe I) should
> document it better, but the results are well worth it.
yup, I noticed that.. and this isn't for the faint of heart.. I googled
setting up X, and saw things I haven't dealt with in years.. but now
Mate is up & running, I didn't even have to reboot once I added the
right links, apps.... it just went to the GUI login window for lightdm..
I am still missing my history for command line ( yet another google..),
but mate & vlc are installed, and I guess I updated the system.. it
didn't complain, but gave me no feedback when I did xbps-install -Suv.
I might install it on my laptop & use that for a while. It might make my
laptop last a while longer:)

--
Paul Cartwright