[ale] O'Reilly Learning Paths

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 14:33:41 EDT 2015

Hey Liam!

In Python1 we had to use that "code runner" environment, and then in
successive classes (Python2 - 4) there was the Eclipse environment (student
version).  I actually wound up only using the remote desktop stuff just to
submit assignments and create projects spaces.  I would scp the completed
files in, with whatever changes that were needed to run on a remote winders
env.  But mostly I used vim and stuff on my slackware box to do all the
assignments.  That didn't seem to cause any heartburn with my instructors,
as they were mostly unix geeks too.  They thought it was good to get some
experience with IDEs so you could find your way around, but they didn't
care as long as you got the assignments in.  Now, I'm actually kinda
interested in IDEs.  On larger projects, they might be useful.

So you're into Ruby?  Excellent.  Seems to me like Ruby and Python are very
close, except for the underlying philosophy regarding one "Pythonic way"
and "TMTOWTDI".  From what little I can see, Ruby seems like a very clean
language.  Looks easier to maintain than Perl!!!!  :-)   (I guess that's
not a great comparison!)

Dave