[ale] Void Linux Tips

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:15:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2015 11:15 AM, Chad Huneycutt wrote:
> > Smaller projects will almost always have faster and more responsive
> > support.  There are also more bugs.  As the number of users per
> > maintainer increases -- which will come with a successful project --
> > expect decreased service.  I'm not sure I would be willing to
> > professionally take a chance on a new distro until the maintainers
> > show they are able to cope with success.
> >

> Exactly.

The packages almost write themselves. Even more so than Arch Linux's
package system. I do not foresee maintainers getting overwhelmed to the
point that they turn into complete dicks like with other distros.

> For testing reasons, I'll take a look, but changing/adding a distro to
> be supported by IT is a big deal. Heck, we're finally getting off ext3
> and switching to a new distro is a much bigger consideration.
>
> Still, love reading about the good and bad for this distro.

Aside from a personal VPS, I don't see Void as a "server" distribution. I
think it is perfect for appliance type devices. Stuff like an HTPC or a DIY
wireless access point. I suppose if you run Linux as a day-to-day desktop
OS, then it would work for that too; simply because of its rolling release
nature.

Still, it's really, really, tempting to designate it as the guest OS for
Docker containers. The bare bones nature of Void is a perfect fit for that
scenario.

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)