[ale] Void Linux Tips

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Oct 21 15:19:17 EDT 2015

Curious:  In you "why void" page you say you couldn't get rpm2cpio working.  Do you mean you couldn't get the command itself to build or that you didn't know what to do with it once you did?

If the latter you can extract files with syntax:
rpm2cpio <package>.rpm |cpio -ivcdum

The command converts to cpio format (an old challenger to tar) and the pipe is the cpio syntax to extract from the cpio format the first command creates.   (cpio -ivcdum  is roughly equivalent to tar xvf and handles most cpio formats).  This has always worked for me but I'll admit I've only done it on RH and its derivatives.

For the former I found this:
https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/search?q[]=filename%3Atemplate+path%3A%2Fsrcpkgs&q[]=rpm2cpio&s=indexed
I haven't tried it from there myself though.